I'm 40, so what?
Hello to our favourite forty-something! You may be thinking, "Hey, I'm over 40, I'm fabulous, and I feel fine!" And that may be true, but listen up, because taking care of your health is crucial as you enter this new stage of life.
Before we start, you should know it's the best decade so far. You're free to let the real you come out. You're fierce and you're a goddess.
But... there's a few things you should know.
You're entering a stage where your hormones will start to change, like it or not. It's also a time when bad habits of the past can kick you in the butt.
First of all, let's talk about metabolism. You know that thing that used to let you eat an entire pizza or down a bottle of wine without gaining a kilo? That's not happening anymore. As you age, your metabolism slows down, making it harder to maintain a healthy weight. That's why it's important to focus on healthy eating and exercise to keep you feeling like you...and wearing your favourite denim.
Now, about perimenopause. Brain fog, hot flashes, mood swings (ok...rage), rampant PMS – need I say more? You might not be there yet, but taking care of your health during this time can make a world of difference.
Our tips for swanning through your 40's with ease:
- Eating a healthy diet, and kicking bad habits to the curb
- Reducing your alcohol intake
- Getting regular exercise, and include some weight-bearing options like weights, pilates and yoga
- Taking good supplements can help ease symptoms and make you feel like a boss
- Sharing the love. Talking with friends who feel the same helps...a lot
- And let's not forget about the importance of regular health check-ups with your GP. Prevention is key, and catching any potential health issues early can be a game-changer
So, to sum it up, taking care of your health as a fabulous forty-something is all about embracing the changes and treating your body like the goddess it is.
So, let's raise a glass of green juice to health, happiness, and harnessing your hormones.
Cheers to glorious days ahead.
Love Eir x